Our Delicious DIY Valentine Heart Cake!
Love is in the air and we love nothing more than some delicious Valentine baking! I've always wanted to tackle a whole big valentine cake and decided to have a real throwback to making shape cakes. When I was little my mom would always make shape cakes for events and birthdays. It is a really fun way to make a statement and have a lot of fun!
We used a brand new white cake recipe and decorated it with lots of fun sprinkles and sweethearts. It came out perfectly and we love the look. If you try it out let u know.
BAKE THE CAKE
This is a super classic white cake. What I love is that it keep its moisture and was perfect for making a shaped cake!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350º F (170ºC). Butter a 9 inch round cake tin and a 9 x 9-inch square cake tin. Use what you have in the house! As long as the sides of the cake pans match in size.
- Cream together the butter and veg shortening until light and fluffy. Slowly add sugar one cup at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each cup before adding another. Add in eggs one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding another.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour milk and vanilla into measuring cup. Add to butter and shortening mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Gently stir all ingredients until well combined. Stop mixer and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl. Mix again to make sure it is all combined.
- Evenly distribute cake batter between both cake pans and place pans into oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove and allow to cool slightly in cake pans for about 5 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack.
PUT IT TOGETHER
Now we can assemble the heart cake once all of the pieces of cooled! It is an easy three-step process.
Cut the circle cake in half to create the rounded parts of the heart!
Place the two section at the tip end of the square cake.
Trim down the pieces as needed to make sure the surface is smooth and ready for the frosting.
MAKE THE FROSTING
- 1 cup (227 grams) butter
- 3 - 4 cups icing sugar sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch salt
- 2-3 tablespoons milk, heavy cream, or half-and-half
- Put softened butter into the bowl of a stand mixer that has been fitted with the paddle attachment. Turn the mixer on a medium setting and cream the butter until it is smooth and has lightened in color. Usually a couple minutes.
- Add icing sugar, one cup at a time.
- Add vanilla and a pinch of salt and combine until well-incorporated.
- Add milk, heavy cream or half-and-half until the frosting has reached the preferred consistency. For a firmer frosting, add more confectioner's sugar, a ¼ cup at a time. For a softer frosting, add more milk or cream, a tablespoon at a time.