Summertime Grapefruit Gin Fizz
I just got back from my bachelorette weekend a couple weeks ago and it was such a blast! My amazing friends hosted the weekend in Boston where I used to live before moving to the UK. They did a fabulous job and we had lots of boat rides, wine, cocktails, laughs, and even drag shows. Shout out Ru Paul! It was so much fun to have a relaxing girls weekend in the sun (Sorry Glasgow, you don't always have the rays).
I was inspired by my trip I decided to make a little summertime cocktail over on the blog to keep me going through the gray Glasgow summer. I love citrus, gin and tonic, and something a bit different so I decided to make a grapefruit gin fizz. The catch is that I infused the simple syrup in the drink with cardamom and rosemary and HOLY SHIT I have no regrets. It was so good but not sweet!
GRAPEFRUIT GIN FIZZ
- 2 large cardamom pods
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- Dash of simple syrup to taste
- 1 grapefruit
- Vinho Verde Portuguese Wine or Prosecco
- Rosemary sprigs
- Grapefruit peels
1. First, make the simple syrup. Combine the sugar, rosemary, cardamom, and water and let it come to boil for 5-10 minutes. All of the sugar should be dissolved and when cooling should have a thick syrup texture. It should have a really nice rosemary smell and taste to it.
2. Let the simple syrup cool off before using it. You can keep the syrup in the fridge and make the evening before if needed.
3. In a bowl mix the juice of the grapefruit, 4 tablespoons of simple syrup, and 1/2 cup of Gin. We used Half Hitch Gin from Camden, London.
4. Fill up desired glasses with lots of ice and divide the gin/grapefruit mixture over the ice. Top up with the Vinho Verde or Prosecco.
5. Garnish each glass with some grapefruit peel and rosemary. Drink up!